The Chally Assessment
Using design and project managment basics to breathe new life into a 45-year-old performance assessment and 20-year-old enterprise platform.
The ChallengeCreate a single web app platform to serve as the client’s enterprise platform and to serve their client with a dashboard, admin and candidate testing tools.
I was the sole design contributor on this project, working with a PM and an excellent Lithuanian development team.
GrowthPlay is a sales enablement company that uses a test, The Chally Assessment to help sales orgs hire the best talent and leverage their employees’ strengths. The test was reliable but dated. The look and feel impacted usability and undermined the platform's credibility.
The test was only one part that needed replacement, the other part being GrowthPlay’s internal platform where their consultants and admins established clients and set them up to purchase tests and manage test products. The existing enterprise tools were also very dated and its complexity created a burden for GrowthPlay’s efficiency.
My consultancy, Devbridge, was engaged in re-platforming both customer- and internal-facing sides of their product, shipping a functional base product that performed all basic tasks successfully. We provided an extremely capable base product with extensibility so they could continue to develop the platform themselves.
I was the sole designer on this project, collaborating with my Design Manager, critique partners, and the client's Marketing Designer. My principal activities included:
- Conducting user research with stakeholders and admins to understand current systems. We were transforming how the companies operate their business. Though there no expectation that our technology would result in redundancies, we nevertheless tread carefully into people’s lives sensitive to this implication.
- Working with the client’s industrial-organizational psychologist to develop an understanding of the current testing product.
- Reviewing designs to align the team and client. We modernized the design, delivered much-needed usability, and applied the client’s visual branding.
- Working with engineers on a scrum team to define, design, deliver and test product features.
- Testing the assessment and assessment results with test takers and client admins.
- Data visualization exploration for customers with high volumes of employee data.
This project had an excellent client partner who trusted us to do our job. We continued to earn that trust by staying checked in with them to make sure we were solving the right problems.
GrowthPlay continues to improve its internal tech stack and customer experience based on the product increment Devbridge developed.
In December of 2019, GrowthPlay’s platform won a Bronze Award from the Brandon Hall Group Excellence Awards in Technology.
The assessment template
Continue on for a visual walkthrough of the design process.